Pravara Public School was established in 1964 by Padmashri Dr.Vitthalrao Vikhe Patil, a great visionary and pioneer of cooperative movement in India. Padmashree envisioned every member of the rural masses to enjoy political , social and economic freedom. It was therefore necessary to provide quality education to the children of the peasantry to facilitate taking their rightful place in the emerging society. Padmashri Vikhe Patil wanted to bring quality education within the reach of farmers and bridge the urban –rural divide. It sounded like an Utopian dream but he overcame seemingly insurmountable obstacles and moved forward with his maiden venture of starting an English medium residential public school under the aegis of Pravara Rural Education Society.
Pravara Public School has grown from strength to strength since its inception in 1964 with a handful of teachers and 27 students in a thatched shed. The growth of this institution spread over 37 acres of land has been phenomenal under the enlightened leadership of Padma Bhushan Shri Dr. Balasaheb Vikhe Patil, former Union Minister and a veteran Parliamentarian. The school run on the British Public School Model is a member of the prestigious Indian Public Schools’ Conference since 1971.
The lush green campus is dotted with a swimming pool, a baby pool, one 400 m. athletic cinder track, basketball courts, cricket pitches, football grounds, hockey fields, volleyball courts, senior and junior hostels with houses each, eight holding houses, an audio- visual lab, three Computer labs, Language lab, ATL TI separate Physics, Chemistry and Biology labs and 48 blocks of staff quarters. The classrooms have been converted into Smart Classes and every concept taught in the class can be visibly experienced making the learning process simpler.
RAPID GROWTH AND PROGRESS / ACHIEVEMENTS
- The school has so far moulded several sportsmen of national and international caliber. Anil Sanas (Basketball -1979) Siddharth Basak (Athletics 1990), Subhash Patil (Athletics 1994), Sangram Patil( Basketball 1996) and Rohit Wagh (Aerobics 2011) are some of the students who donned Indian Colours at various world championships.
- The alumni association of Pravara Public School is named as ‘ Pravarites’ and has about 4000 members on its rolls. Shri Radhakrishna Vikhe Patil, President, Pravarites, Leader of Opposition in the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly
- The other alumni in the state legislature are Chandrashekhar Ghule and Amarsingh Pandit. Shri Nitin Kareer, Subhash Yeole Vishwas Dhumal and Anant Tambe are senior Indian Administrative Service officers.
- Major Vikrant Deshmukh is a recipient of the prestigious Kirti Chakra from the President of India for display of valour of exceptional order in the face of the enemy. Many other Pravarites occupy high ranking positions in the Indian Armed Forces.
- A majority of Pravarites are well- established in the fields of engineering and medicine while a good number of them are pursuing excellence in fields as diverse as CA, Industry, business, advanced farming, education and other entrepreneurial ventures.
- The school has been producing excellent academic results both qualitatively and quantitatively. For the last nine consecutive years we have had 100% result at the SSC and HSC Board Exams. Vast majority of our students have passed the exams securing either distinction or first class. Chetan Rathi. Soumyadeep Ghosh and Neeraj Gade had the unique distinction of getting into the board merit list.
- In the sports arena too we have been performing extremely well. During the last five years 119 sportmen from our school participated at state level championships in various disciplines. It is a matter of great pride for all of us that during the same period 40 of our sports stars represented Maharashtra at the national level.
- The accreditation by NABET is an acknowledgement of the effective management and delivery of the holistic education for the all-round development of students in the school.
- The school is marching ahead with a wide variety of life changing activities. We hope to inculcate in our children knowledge, skills, attitudes, values and behaviour patterns that are desirable for them as individuals and as proud citizens of our country.